You may have heard the term “Alpha Male” while watching a program about wolves on Animal Planet before and thought it only applied to males in the animal kingdom. But the term actually does apply to the human species as well, when we label the most dominant men in a social setting.
The human alpha male is probably less than 5% of the world’s population, making the rest of the 95% of males on Earth what they call “beta males.” There are also several other types, but for the sake of this article I’m just sticking with the the alpha VS beta dichotomy.
In prehistoric times, genetics ultimately determined who was going to be the alpha male or not. In those days, you had to be big, muscular, intelligent, and aggressive. And just like in the Animal Kingdom, the bigger and stronger you were, the more you were able to dominate other males in your tribe or fend off intruders who were invading your territory. Naturally, females sought to mate with the alpha males of their groups in order to ensure that they had access to his resources and that their offspring would have his genes as well – increasing their chances of survival.
Since we used to live in small tribes, it was natural that the alpha male was the leader who provided and cared for everyone. He created order and maintained it; other males that were inferior to him served as his entourage, protectors, and enforcers. They lacked the skills and genetic superiority to take his position, and so it was best for them to side with him then to challenge him.
But from time to time, other potential alpha males would challenge the throne, and if they succeeded, then they would become the new leader of the group. However, failure do so could mean death or total banishment from the tribe, so one had to be sure they were prepared when challenging the alpha.
Although we no longer live in the Stone Age, women are still hard-wired to mate with more attractive and physically fit men. But today’s alpha male needs more than just good genetics; he needs to be able to ensure security, health, and emotional comfort – and this no longer comes from fighting off giant mammals, hunting, and having a cave – as our world and needs are different totally different today.
Since the battlefield today is no longer fighting-off sabretooth tigers for survival, and he struggle takes place on a civilized, technological plan of information, men need to know how to master the art of communication. Knowing how to communicate is your sword and shield against your competitors and the toolkit for you to build relationships; whether at work, in a social gatherings, or when trying to woo a woman into your arms. Since genetics are not the only factor, you have learn how to communicate your value via verbal and non-verbal messages, in such a way where it is not too obvious, not too forward, and not disingenuous. In other words, everything is basically sales, and you are the product that you’re selling.
But in order to close any deals, you have to have the alpha male mindset. What exactly is that? TOTAL CONFIDENCE!
An alpha male is not shy and he’s not hesitant. He takes charge of situations and makes decisions. He carries his responsibilities with a sense of duty and is looking out for the benefit of the people in his life. He remains true to himself. Although he puts his needs first, he does so in order to be fully equipped to give back to others. He is focused and he has a vision/plan to contribute in a positive way. He knows that the greatest gift in life is to give to others and bring value to the world. He can sell himself easily because he is valuable, and people want him around him.
You don’t have to rule the planet to be an alpha male; all you have to do is be the best dad in the world to your children, the best player on your team, the best man to your lover, the best friend to your friends, the best worker at your job, or just simply the best man that possibly be.
Lead yourself, live the life you want, be who you really are, and change the lives of others in some positive way.